Irritable bowel syndrome, or IBS, is a gastrointestinal disorder caused by miscommunication between your gut and your brain. IBS affects around 12% of adults in the US, predominantly women under the age of 50. Read on to learn more about the signs and symptoms of IBS, and how Evvea Probiotics can help:
Signs and Symptoms of IBS
There is no official cause of IBS, although stress plays a role. The symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome vary from person to person, and can include:
- Pain and cramping: Lower abdominal cramps are a common symptom of IBS, especially if they are alleviated by a bowel movement.
- Fatigue: IBS is closely linked to insomnia, with patients struggling to feel refreshed after a full night’s rest.
- Excessive gas and bloating: Bloating is described as one of the most uncomfortable, nagging symptoms of IBS. It’s normal to feel bloated after eating a large meal, but if you feel bloating every day, it may be cause for concern.
- Anxiety and/or depression: Studies show that patients with IBS are significantly more likely to have an anxiety disorder, or to suffer from depression. However, it’s unclear whether the IBS causes anxiety/depression, or if it’s the other way around.
- Constipation and/or diarrhea: IBS can cause gastrointestinal muscles to speed up or slow down, leading to changes in bowel movements. Patients may experience increased constipation, diarrhea, or both, depending on their type of IBS.
- Sensitivity to high-FODMAP foods (i.e. short chain carbohydrate foods poorly absorbed in the small intestines): Food sensitivities can vary, but high-FODMAP foods—such as garlic, avocado, onions, beans, etc.—can increase gut bacteria.
It’s important to note that blood in the stool, weight loss, fever, and continuing pain are not symptoms of IBS. Seek professional help if you are experiencing these symptoms, as they may be caused by a more serious medical condition.
How Probiotics Help with IBS
IBS can have a significant impact on your quality of life. People with IBS miss three times as many workdays as those without. Probiotics help nourish the good bacteria in your gut, improving the effectiveness of your immune system, reducing discomfort caused by gas, and boosting your mood.
Gastroenterologists developed Evvea Probiotic with one goal in mind: to be the best probiotic for the widest range of people. It’s dairy-free and gluten-free and is shelf-stable so it does not need to be refrigerated. Take the path towards good gut health with Evvea Probiotics from Panacea Scientific today!